Congratulations on your acceptance!
Congratulations on your acceptance to study abroad through Michigan State University! You have taken an important step in adding an international dimension to your education! The staff of the Office of Study Abroad (OSA) is available to assist you as you plan and prepare, while you're abroad, and when you return. Visit our website for a listing of staff and their respective responsibilities and contact information.
Accept your admission!
In order to accept your admission to the program, you will need to log into your My Study Abroad portal and complete the Decision Form within two weeks. If you have not completed this step within two weeks, OSA will assume that you are no longer interested in participating and will withdraw you from the program. The $100 application fee will remain on your account and is non-refundable.
Once you accept your admission, you will be billed a non-refundable and non-transferable $200 deposit (if your program fee is $300 or higher). This deposit is posted on your student account and must be paid by the due date indicated on the e-bill. It will be applied to the cost of the program and deducted from the Program Fee. If you do not pay the deposit by the due date, the deposit will accrue monthly late charges until it is paid in full. MSU students who are unable to pay the deposit by the due date are encouraged to apply for a short-term loan with the MSU Office of Financial Aid.
Please retain a copy of your acceptance letter, along with your MSU Study Abroad program tuition and fees bill. OSA recommends that you carry these items, along with your passport, for possible reference purposes when you enter your program country.
Your participation may be denied or your participation approval may be revoked if your conduct before departure raises doubts as to your suitability for program participation.
The Office of Study Abroad reserves the right to make changes to its programs, policies, and procedures. OSA will strive to notify students in a timely manner of any significant changes that may affect their participation in the study abroad program.
What to do next
Once you accept your admission, there are several steps that you should take immediately:
- Non-MSU students: Activate your MSU account, since bills and general MSU communications will be sent to your MSU email.
- Plan financially for your program. Check your program's webpage to see what is and is not included in your program fee. Learn your program costs and how payments will be made. Apply for financial aid and scholarships.
- Apply for a passport.
- If you have a pre-existing health condition or are on prescription medications, check in with your physician or the MSU Travel Clinic.
- Reserve your international flight.
- Find out if you need a visa. This is especially important for non-US citizens.
See a more complete checklist for additional pre-departure steps.