Use your browser's "Back" button to return to the original page. Or go to HomeStudenthandbkSafety TravelBack

Hide Links

Safety and Travel

Overseas Citizens Services

OSA will register all participants with the U.S. Department of State in all countries included in your program itinerary; however, you should also register with the U.S. Embassy or Consulate as soon as you arrive on site. To register, you will need to provide all the information on the front page of your passport. This will be helpful to you and your family if there is a need to locate you in the event of an emergency.

The Overseas Citizens Services of the Bureau of Consular Affairs ( (OCS) is responsible for the welfare and whereabouts of U.S. citizens traveling and residing abroad. American Citizens Services and Crisis Management (ACS), a branch of OCS, assists in all matters involving protective services for Americans abroad, including arrests, death cases, financial or medical emergencies, and welfare and whereabouts inquiries. The OCS toll-free hotline is (888) 407-4747. From overseas, call (202) 501-4444.

Further information regarding emergency services to U.S. citizens abroad and related U.S. Department of State services can be obtained at their International Travel ( website.

Travel warnings can be viewed at the U.S. Department of State Travel Warnings ( website. You should check this site regularly until your departure to ensure that you are familiar with events on site and any concerns of which you should be aware.

Return to the Study Abroad Student Guide index (/../)

© 2013-2017 Michigan State University Board of Trustees