Small World Map

Emergency procedures

Medical emergency response

  1. In a medical emergency, including mental health emergency, seek appropriate medical care and contact GeoBlue (formerly HTH) at (610) 254-8771. This emergency number is on the students' insurance cards and GeoBlue (formerly HTH) will accept collect calls. GeoBlue (formerly HTH) can assist you and help coordinate the necessary arrangements including payment of fees on behalf of the student. Once you notify GeoBlue (formerly HTH), allow them to manage all arrangements. For medical and liability reasons, it is not wise to solicit outside input or take control of coordination. In any other sort of emergency, notify the local police about the situation if you and the U.S. Embassy believe this is appropriate; then follow the procedures that the police may require of you or the student.
  2. Contact the MSU Emergency Assistance line at (517) 353-3784 to report the incident. All hospitalizations of any length are reported to the Dean of International Studies and Programs (though the identity of the student is not revealed). Unless the student's situation is life threatening, do not make contact with the student's parents without their permision. This chain of communication serves to diffuse potential miscommunication and misinformation to parents and the media, and provides background to the wider MSU community in case the condition should escalate.
  3. When you call the MSU Emergency Assistance line, OSA may contact the University Physician. Please note that urgent medical matters should be dealt with by going to a health care facility in the area where you are traveling. For non-emergency medical advice, OSA can put you in touch with Dr. Alexander by email.

Incidents involving sexual assault may also involve counselors from MSU's Sexual Assault programOpens in new window.

Observing the procedures outlined here will help our students have the unique educational experience abroad that you, they, and we are hoping they will have.