Early post-war study abroad begins by the University of Delaware in 1923, followed by Smith College (1925) and Mount Holyoke College (1926); two other kinds of American student-abroad programs appear at this time – overseas branches of American universities begin with the opening of Marymount's Paris branch in 1923, Rosary's Fribourg branch in 1925, and Marymount's Rome branch in 1930 (Weidner, 1962). The junior-year abroad to Europe concept flourishes from 1920 to 40s.
Council on International Educational Exchange begins in 1947 followed by NAFSA: Association of International Educators in 1948.
With the passage of the Fulbright Act in 1946, a framework for education and exchange between U.S. and many other countries begins, which ushered in a wave of faculty going abroad (Garraty & Adams, 1959; Rodman, 2005).
1910 saw the establishment of the Cosmopolitan Club, which offered international and domestic students an opportunity to interact and learn from each other (Rodman).
In 1943 the Institute of Foreign Studies established by President Hannah promotes international content in courses (Rodman).
Centrally located at the heart of the campus, the International Center opens in 1944 as a gathering place for international students (Rodman). Dr. Shao Chang Lee forms the International Club the same year. By the end of the decade, Michigan State ranks sixth among land-grant colleges for international student enrollment.